It’s hot then it’s cold! We’ve been enjoying 70 degree days and now the weather channel is calling for snow tomorrow. As a southerner, we’ll be “snowed in” for a day or two if we even see flurries! Needless to say, cold weather makes us crave good ole comfort food. Typically, this means consuming extra calories we really don’t need and with summer right around the corner, you’re probably trying to watch your waistline like the rest of us.
Now you can enjoy the taste of comfort food without going crazy overboard. Here’s how to make my spaghetti squash chicken parm that even your picky eaters will eat and your hungry husbands will love!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Spaghetti Squash (1 will feed 2 people)
- Thin chicken breasts
- Oyster Crackers
- Italian and Oregano Seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Low Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Your choice of pasta sauce (make sure to read the label and purchase a lower sodium one)
Now get to preppin’ and cookin’:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- While your oven is preheating, wash the outside of the spaghetti squash, dry and poke holes with a fork as shown.
- Next, place 3 cups of oyster crackers in a blender and blend until it looks like crumbs.
- Then you’ll need 3 bowls. In the first bowl, you will place enough flour in it to cover your chicken breats. (Here, I used about a cup of flour to make sure I had enough.)
- In the 2nd bowl, you will beat the eggs. (I usually plan on 1 egg per piece of chicken. So, 3 chicken breasts I’ll beat 3 eggs.
- In the 3rd bowl, you will put your now “crumbs” in. (Add desired amount of Oregano and Italian seasoning.)
- Grab first chicken breast and dunk in the flour, then the egg, then your crumbs.
- Place covered chicken breast(s) in your pan along with olive oil.
- While your chicken is browning in the pan, place your spaghetti squash in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Cook chicken thoroughly and slice the breast into strips.
- Once spaghetti squash has cooked, pull out and carefully cut in half. Yes, it will be hot!
- Then scoop out the center seeds as you would a cantaloupe.
- Once all seeds are removed, use a fork to rough up the center to create your “spaghetti”.
- Then, put a layer of your pasta sauce on top of the spaghetti. Place the chicken breast on top. Next add another layer of sauce, then add desired amount of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven while it’s still at 375 degrees and cook for about 5-7 minutes; until cheese has melted to your liking.
- Serve your comfort meal hot and enjoy!
*If you’re looking for another comfort meal, check out my lentil soup recipe here ->